Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Criminal (The Marshall Mathers LP)

In the intro, Eminem maps out the concept for this song:

"A lot of people think that what I say on record, I actually do in real life, and that I believe in it. Or if I say that I wanna kill somebody, that I'm actually gonna do it, or that I believe in it. If you believe that, then I'll kill you."

He's basically saying: "if you paint me as a fag-bashing criminal, then I'll be one." For the rest of this song, he personifies this "menace" to society: "Hates fags? He answers 'yes'." But even though he's in-character, he plants clues that he's just joking and baiting people: "Relax guy, I like gay men! Right Ken? [Ken Kaniff is his gay alter-ego] Give me an amen!" He also says later in the song "Half the shit I say I just make it up to make you mad so kiss my white, naked ass!"

Yet most people still point to Criminal as an example of Eminem's homophobia. Idiots. Anyway, here are some great parts of Criminal:

"I drank malt liquor to fuck you up quicker than you'd wanna fuck me up for saying the word (nigger)." Thought this was clever. He doesn't say it.

The entire song, Eminem criticizes the hypocritical people who run this country: both the State (my morals went pfffft when the President (Clinton) got oral sex in the oval office" and the church ("please lord, this boy needs Jesus...heal this child, help us destroy these demons...oh and please send me a brand new car and a prostitute"). He's hinting that the church are all uppity and moral yet they take advantage of their faith for their own self-gain and they're hypocritical. The "preacher, preacher" Eminem addresses is telling him he shouldn't be bashing gays, even though the church is notoriously homophobic.

1 comment:

  1. i actually like the robbery skit, he over exaggerate the robbery and makes a point outta it,

    ReplyDelete