Thursday, January 13, 2011

Who Knew (The Marshall Mathers LP)

Now this is one of the funniest Eminem songs I've heard: dark, sarcastic and angry (like a lot of MMLP). The message of the song is that he never knew he would get so big and make such a splash. He never knew his music would make teenagers slit their wrists.

He quips: You want me to watch my mouth? How? Take my fucking eyeballs out and turn 'em around?

Eminem pins the blame on the way these teenagers and children are behaving on parents and the politicians: You want me to fix up lyrics while the President gets his dick sucked?

In the second verse:

Last week I seen this Schwarzenegger movie where he's shooting all sorts of these motherfuckers with an uzi. I see three little kids up in the front row screaming "go!" with a 17-year-old uncle. I'm like "guidance?" Ain't they got the same moms and dads who got mad when I asked if they liked violence? And told me that my tape taught 'em to swear, what about the make-up you allow your 12-year-old daughter to wear?

Here, Eminem's making the point that violence in his music is no different to violence in movies. Apparently Schwarzenegger killing people in his movies is more acceptable than Eminem doing it in his music. When he talks about him asking if they liked violence, that is a reference to the first line on My Name Is, Eminem's opening line to the world: "Hi kids, do you like violence?" So, to sum up the second verse...he's pretty much telling parents to take responsibility for their own children.

The third verse is pretty much the same idea bounced around.

Funny Lines

So tell me that your son doesn't know any cuss words when he's bus driver's fucking him up worse (sit the fuck down you little fucking prick!)

Eminem's voice for the bus driver...funny shit.

My life's like kinda what my wife's like (what?)/Fucked up after I beat her fucking ass every night, Ike

I remember falling out of my chair laughing when I first heard this. Such a shock to hear it. It also references Ike Turner beating up his own wife, Tina.

You want me to fix up lyrics while the President gets his dick sucked? (Ken Kaniff: erghghg)

Ken's voice in the background gets me every time.

Oh, you want me to watch my mouth? How? Take my fuckin' eyeballs out and turn 'em around?

I don't got that bad of a mouth, do I? Fuck, shit, ass, cunt, bitch, shibbidi do-op!

Some basic irony...but hilarious all the same.

Skibbidi bee-bop da Christopher Reeves, Sonny Bono skis, horses, and hittin' some trees!

He's just lost it by this point. Trying to offend as much as possible.

The beat for this song is produced by Dr Dre, and has about 5 keys just looped over and over again. It's dark, it's stripped down, and perfectly fits Eminem's lyrics.

Rhyming

In his prime (1997-2002), Eminem's rhyme schemes were so intricate/complex that I still discover new rhymes to this day. Here are some you may have missed:

White music/high school kids/drive like this

deck now/stretched out

circle around/furniture out

plastic/last week

Screaming "go!"/teen-year-old

movie/uzi

front row/uncle

cuss words/up worse

read up/free lunch/three months

No comments:

Post a Comment